Offa's Dyke Path Shropshire
Location: England/Wales Border.
Length: 285km (177 miles).
Average number of days to complete: 12.
Users: 100% for walkers, 35% available for cyclists and horse riders too.
Highest point: Hatterrall Ridge 700m (2,300 ft).
Start point: The Marker Stone on Offa’s Dyke at Sedbury Cliff.
Finish point: The Marker Stone on Prestatyn seafront.
Landscape: Rural with mountains, hill pasture, river valleys and lowland fields. 31% is within Three Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty, 9% is within a National Park. Total 40% within designated areas, Two-thirds of this National Trail is in Wales.
Highlights: Offa’s Dyke, Britain’s longest Ancient Monument. Chepstow Castle, Wye Valley, Tintern Abbey, Monmouth, Black Mountains, Hay-on-Wye (the Town of Books), Knighton, (the Town-on-the-Dyke), Llangollen, Pont-Cysyllte Aqueduct, Moel Famau and the Clwydian Range Hill Forts. Also Buzzards, Badgers, Butterflies and wild flowers galore.
Famous Associations: Kilvert’s Diary, Bruce Chatwin “On the Black Hill”, Malcolm Saville- “The Lone Pine Adventures”, George Borrow - “Wild Wales”, A.E. Housman - “A Shropshire Lad”.
Trail Officers favourite part: “The South Shropshire Hills. An awful lot of climbs, but fantastic views, exquisite little forgotten valleys and unspoiled old buildings. Also some of the best preserved parts of the Dyke.”
Nearest towns: Bristol is 29 km (18 miles), Chepstow 1.6km (1 mile), Monmouth is on the Trail. Ludlow is 24km (15 miles), Newtown 16km (10 miles), Shrewsbury 26km (16 miles), Hereford 26km (16 miles), Llangollen and Prestatyn are on the Trail, Chester is 32km (20 miles). Other towns on or close by the Trail are Hay-on-Wye, Kington, Knighton, Presteigne, Montgomery, Welshpool, Oswestry and Chirk.
Access: There are railway stations at Chepstow (1.6km (1 mile) from the Trail), Abergavenny (8km (5 miles)), Knighton (on the Trail), Welshpool (2km (1.5 mile)), Chirk (2km (1.5miles)) and at Prestatyn (on the Trail).
Information available: National Trail Guides by Ernie and Kathy Kay - Aurum Press. Two volumes: Offa’s Dyke Path South ISBN 1 85410 671 6, Offa’s Dyke Path North ISBN 1 85410 322 9. Public Transport and “Where to Stay” by the Offa’s Dyke Association, published annually. Circular walk packs, mileage chart, strip maps etc. feature in publications list available from Offa’s Dyke Association. General information and publications available from the Offa’s Dyke Association, Offa’s Dyke Centre, West Street, Knighton, Powys, LD7 1EN Tel. (01 547) 528 753 Fax. (01 547) 529 242 Email. email@example.com.
Contact for all information and advice: Jim Saunders, Offa’s Dyke Centre, West Street, Knighton, Powys, LD7 1EN.
Telephone: (01 547) 528 192.
Fax: (01 547) 529 242.
For places to stay near this National Trail click here
If you like this, Share it
This page visited 10581 times since 28th April 2009
Previous destinations of the month:
Starry Starry Night, Look You – Dark Skies Tourism, South Wales | Mills and Hills in Central Lancashire, Lancashire | Get Fit on the North York Moors, North Yorkshire | A West Country Christmas – Dorset in December, Dorset | Nottinghamshire – Rural and Urban, Nottinghamshire | The Test Valley, Hampshire | Ashdown Forest, Sussex | The Rugged Northumberland Coast , Northumberland | The Resorts of North Devon, Devon | The Queen's London, London | Denbighshire , North Wales | York and Its Surrounds, North Yorkshire | The High Weald of Kent, Kent | Leisure, Luxury and Retail Heaven in Leeds , West Yorkshire | Rejuvenate Yourself in Rejuvenated Belfast , Belfast | Seasonal Fun in Brum, West Midlands | Autumn in the Southern Chilterns, Buckinghamshire | Cheshire Peaks and Plains, Cheshire | Essex’s Colne Valley, Essex | Cardigan Bay, West Wales | South Wales Valleys, South Wales | Highland Perthshire, Perthshire | South Downs National Park, Sussex | Royal Wedding London, London | Vale of Belvoir, Leicestershire | The Oxfordshire Cotswolds, Oxfordshire | Huntingdonshire, Cambridgeshire | Edinburgh at Christmas, Edinburgh and the Lothians | Marvellous Manchester, Greater Manchester | The National Forest, Derbyshire | East Lothian, Edinburgh and the Lothians | Regency Brighton and Hove, Sussex | Isle of Purbeck, Dorset | The Somerset Levels, Somerset | Llandudno, North Wales | Hereford, Herefordshire | Cheltenham, Gloucestershire | Bristol, the Great West City, Bristol | Weardale, County Durham | Festive London, London | Islay, Isle of Islay | Blackpool and the Lancashire Coast, Lancashire | The Vale of Evesham, Worcestershire | Land of the Prince Bishops, County Durham | The North Cornwall Coast, Cornwall | Torbay, Devon | Dumfries & Galloway, Dumfries and Galloway | West Highland Way, Argyll | Caithness and Sutherland, Highlands | Harrogate & its Surrounds, North Yorkshire | Sheffield, South Yorkshire
On this day: